The Naper Aero Club (the airport) was started by a small group of pilots in 1953. The airport was built in 1957 and opened later that year. It wasn't until the 1980's when the homes, now part of this beautiful airport community, began construction. You can read more about the history of the airport.
The Naperville Flying Club (the club) was incorporated on July 8th, 1958. They started with a handful of men and a Champ. Soon after, they bought a Cessna 170 and enjoyed flying that for several years. The club traded off the Cessna 170 for a Tri-Pacer and exchanged the Champ for a Cessna 150. Throughout the years the club has owned a wide array of capable, sophisticated aircraft including several Bonanzas and currently operates a Debonair. Our current fleet is still the foundation of the club's ability to attract an eclectic array of pilots; from new ones to ones with tales to tell, our members are as diverse as our fleet. The club's longest-standing member joined in the 1970s and is still an active member today.
We have always prided ourselves in having multiple aircraft, from training planes to cross-country planes and that vision still continues today. From a Cessna 172 to a 6-seat Piper Saratoga we offer the area's most diverse fleet of single engine aircraft in the greater Chicagoland area. We owned 5 aircraft at one point and are looking forward to that day again soon. Because the members own the planes, our owner-assisted maintenance keeps our dues and rates low.
Our club holds an annual club picnic to bring members and their families together. Camaraderie is the glue that has kept this club together decade after decade. Pilots who love to fly and families that support them in their passion are the backbone of this club. We hold monthly meetings that include safety presentations to review aviation subjects and keep pilots up-to-date on the development, safety, and changes within general aviation.